Integral rice is an excellent source of fibre, recommended in healthy diets or those that require regulation of intestinal function.
Integral rice is one of the types of rice that is most consumed since it is a source of energy and a way to keep blood sugar levels constant.
In addition, it offers superior quality by preserving most of the special nutrients found in the grain coat.
What is the difference with white rice?
The grain of integral rice is composed of bran, which is where the bre is concentrated, the minerals
, apart from antioxidants and vitamins of group B and the endosperm where the protein is concentrated. By contrast, in white rice only the endosperm is left.
The production process of white rice is different from whole wheat. To produce the rst variety of rice, the peel is eliminated and with it also part of its nutrients, making it low in protein and rich in carbohydrates. Integral rice does retain part of its nutrients
because its outer shell is removed, but its cuticle remains. Hence it has a darker color, a very interesting texture and avour nuances.
Properties of integral rice
As said, integral rice is a balanced cereal
and this is why we can consume it periodically. But what are its properties?
It is characterized because it contains very little fat and it is a food that constantly supplies glucose to the blood
. In addition, it includes high proportions of phosphorus so it maintains bone health, Besides, it intervenes in the formation of muscle tissues and the division of cells.
Another property of integral rice is that it is low in sodium and it has high amount of fibre that helps reduce calories intake.
How should I cook integral rice?
Each variety of rice must be cooked in a different way. Integral rice should not be cooked the same as white rice
, if you do so, the result will not be as expected. To prepare a good integral rice you must take into account the cooking time. Even if you spend a little more time in the kitchen, with these tricks that we are going to tell you, we are sure it is worth trying this variety.
The first step to cooking integral rice, is to wash it well before cooking it and even let it soak a little to enhance its properties. Then, cooking time will vary because for this variety of rice it is recommended that it rest 30 minutes more 15 than usual.
Recipes with integral rice
If you dare to prepare good integral rice, but you are missing some ideas... We are going to give you some that you will surely love!
Rice and lentil salad
Now that the good weather is here, it is important to eat fresh and healthy foods such as lentils.
- 400 g. Montsià Integral Rice
- 60 ml. olive oil
- 2 red onions
- 60 ml. red wine vinegar
- 400 g. lentils
- 1 lemon
- 15 g. fresh parsley leaves
- 200 g. cheese
- First, we cut the onions and fry them in a pan with a little oil.
- Next, we put the lentils and rice to cook in a large pot with boiling water and add a little salt.
- Meanwhile, cut the onion into small pieces, poach it and add it to the salad bowl.
- After about 15 minutes of cooking, drain the legumes, rice and rinse everything with cold water. We let drain.
- We add the legumes and parsley to our plate, we cut a little feta cheese into squares.
- Finally, we cook the salad to our liking with a little olive oil, wine vinegar and salt. We let it cool and ready to eat!
Brown rice dessert with apple
We propose a very simple, healthy and very tasty dessert. We recommend it especially for the days when you want to eat sweet and the body asks you for something healthy.
- 200 g Rice Montsià Integral
- 2 grated Golden apples
- Cinnamon powder
- Put water to heat and, when it starts to boil, add the amount you need of rice. Remember that the cooking time is longer than the white one, between 30 and 40 minutes.
- When it's done (to the point), run it through cold water and let it finish cooling to room temperature.
- Peel and grate the apples. Do it at the last minute to avoid rust color. To delay oxidation, instead of grating it, you can cut it into very small pieces and soak it in lemon water.
- When the rice is cold, mix it with the grated apple. The proportion is half and half, but you can adapt it to your liking.
- Add half a teaspoon of ground cinnamon, taste and rectify.
Brown rice, as you have seen, has multiple properties and benefits that will help you take care of yourself inside and out. Now it's your turn to be an excellent chef and prepare one of our recipes!